Found one of these over on What's new pussyat and ok it's a little late , but now time like the present, right?
1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?
Moved out from living with a partner, attempted to live totally on freelance income, did a screen writing course, went to the States.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next this year?
I resolved to get a cleaner, and yes, I got a cleaner. But the aim of the resolution was to help repair my flailing relationship and it didn't acheive that.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Everyone! Meri Risa had lovely number 2, Angel had a little boy right at the start of 2009. A cousin had a second one, I think, or was that 2008? Big shout out to the lovely mummies.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
USA (New York!!), UK, France, Belgium (not as impressive as it sounds when you are based in Holland). Wished I visited Norway and gone to Spain again.
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
A sense of security and joy de vivre.
7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Oh I'm very bad at actual dates. But the one where I walked through the passport control to leave Amsterdam wih a very sore and sad heart. July 13, I think. And on a happier note, rocking up in New York YMCA where the lovely Miss J was waiting, after my flight was delayed by an hour and I nearly got the the subway to New Jersey by accident. June sometime?
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Getting back to freelancing in Australia and being booked solid for 3 months.
9. What was your biggest failure?
A broken relationship, that I didn't know how to fix. Oh I sense a theme here.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
11. What was the best thing you bought?
My Blackberry, I think.
12. Where did most of your money go?
Airfares, rent, new laptop and phone bills.
13. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Very little. But going to New York was a welcome adventure.
14. What song will always remind you of 2009?
Mika "Happy Endings" and Nick Cave "Dig Lazarus Dig" from listening while riding through Vondel Park.
15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?
Happier, mostly, I don't feel trapped any more.
b) thinner or fatter?
A little bit thinner, yaay, getting rid of those beer and cheese love handles.
c) richer or poorer?
About the same. Replenshing the savings account, but feeling the lack of those nice Euros.
16. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Visited other European countries. Asking people for a bit of a hand when it was needed.
17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Clamming up and acting tough.
18. How will you spend Christmas?
Oops, did this already - with family in Radelaide.
19. Did you fall in love in 2009?
Nup. Oh unless you count rekindling the love with Nick Cave via his new novel and exhibition. What *is* it about that man ?
20. What was your favorite TV program?
Hands down, The Wire, even though we watched on dvd.
21. What was the best book you read?
Um.. can't remember them all or what year I read them. Sure there was a few. Looking at the bookshelf, really enjoyed Stephen Fry's autobiography.
22. What was your favorite film of this year?
Probably "Julie and Julia". Also really liked "Where the Wild Things are". Saw "Cheri" when it was just the right type of escapism, but it was a fairly average film.
23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Went out to dinner at Bazaar on AlbertCuypMarkt then dancing to live Brazilian music at de Badcuyp. Cycled to the red light district with Jess two in the morning when it was probably about 2 degrees. It was fun. I was 33.
24. What kept you sane?
Skype. And the ocean back in Sydney.
25. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I don't think I have to answer that for you regulars.. see #19. Apart from the obvious, Mika and Cate Blanchett (if you substitute fancy for admire).
26. Who did you miss?
Everyone who I don't seem to have in my "crew" any more. Formerly my little sister, Miss J, Amberguity and the Meri crew, plus the whole of Australia. And now Kristin, Kirsten, and Jess, Biz and others in the greenie/Europe contigent. And my Auntie Ruth. Life is crap like that isn't it?
27. Who was the best new person you met?
Um, possibly, my new client, Jenn who is a total live wire and funny. 2009 was less about meeting new people and more about re-connecting with old ones.
24 January 2010
21 January 2010
A follow up to a discussion I was having with Merry Risa the other day. Regards nuclear power, John Quiggin speculates initial costs to generate nuclear power would be higher than coal, wind or gas, and when it "settles down" then it would be about the same as wind. "Settled down" meaning 5 nuclear power plants operating in Aus, at a guess, 2025. The IPCC says the world needs to reach peak emissions at 2015. That kind of economics challenges some of the popular chat going around that nukes are cheap and large scale solutions.